Vintage Surprise

I happened across some vintage Needlework magazines during my weekend thrifting. I love looking through these for entertainment, ideas and inspiration. The magazines are chocked full of patterns for various needlework projects. There's knitting, crocheting, sewing, macrame, needlepoint, embroidery and general crafting projects dispersed throughout the magazine. To be honest, some of the clothing styles are quite funny and rather surprising - such as the patterns for knitted bikinis and beachwear.

The best surprise I've had yet happened as I flipped through the pages and discovered this picture of knitted toys ... I recognized the Mrs. Bunny toy! Someone had knitted this very toy for me. My bunny had been given to me when I was baby and shows the wear and tear of her many years of love. Apparently I carried her everywhere and most likely by her ears as she has been a one eared bunny for about as far back as I can remember. I don't remember my bunny wearing glasses or carrying a basket, but she still has her little dress. Now I'm going to have to dig her out of storage to have another look at her and ask my Mom if she can remember who made this toy for me.

Comments

  1. I'll expect to see you in the yellow knitted minidress next time I see you, shall I?

    What a lovely story about Mrs. Bunny. I would love to see her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding magazines like yours is a true treasure...

    I couldn't help smiling when I read about the knitted bikini and beachwear. I remember my mom crocheted a white bikini for herself. And it got so heavy when it became weat! Lucky that she hated to bath at the beach :0)

    It think it's amazing that you recognized you very own childhood bunny. That must have been a nice and speciale feeling....I love when something brings my mind down memories lane...

    I can't wait to see if you find your bunny, and whether you make something beautiful from the retro patterns :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much of that blue do you need? I might be able to help out here....let me know! Great thrifting haul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love those old magazines? They always amaze me with the projects people were working on at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see your Mrs. Bunny! I love those old books, I have a few and really need to get to trying to make something. :)

    Your blue quilt looks great, by the way. I started one myself out of vintage pillow cases. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coincidences.... this is such a cute story !
    Vintage magazines are treasures, and I'm happy you found these :>)

    Hugs & smiles,
    NADINE

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you will find your knitted bunny, you will have to blog it! Fancy finding the exact same pattern, it may even be the actual pattern that was used to make yours? You must make a knitted bikini, you could start a trend, fashion does goes around in a circle. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Knitted beachwear. It reminds me of my first swimsuit my mother knitted for me... light blue... and when you entered the water it became twice as large.. and heavy... I was maybe 4 years old and felt soooo uncomfortably!
    The bunny story is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!