Wedding Ring and an Anniversary

Just before the weekend, my husband and I had our 21st wedding anniversary.  Crazy to realize we've been married for half our lives.  It really doesn't seem possible that so much time has passed.  And. Then.  I look at our oldest son and remember that I was his age (19), when I met and subsequently fell in love with his dad.  Gulp.
Here we are, 21 years later and I still feel I have been blessed to have married the man who (was, is,) continues to be my best friend and true love. Also, I'm extremely grateful, that I was smart enough to recognize his wonderfulness, all those years ago.  Marrying him has been the best decision I ever made and each year with him reaffirms that.
As our anniversary approached I keep thinking back over our married life. So, it may come as no surprise that my newest WIP reflects my thoughts.  I had been playing around with some HSTs layouts, when I realized I was looking at a "wedding ring" block!   It was all the inspiration I needed to make a new quilt.   I've taken some of my vintage sheet collection and paired them with a traditional block design.   I've given this familiar design a new spin by making it really, really large.   My finished blocks are 32.5" square!  It seems like a lovely way to combine a special anniversary with my love of quilting.  Stay tuned for more on this project.

Comments

  1. Happy anniversary, wooooooooohooooooooo!! Lovely quilt too - I love large blocks, and those fabrics are luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. COngratulations, Katherine, and I wish you and your husband many, many more happy years!

    Love the vintage sheet blocks and look forward to seeing the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary to you and D! I think it is such a treasure to have those years together. Congratulations! And too true - there's no getting away from realizing how many years it has been when our oldest sons are there to remind us. ;-)

    We were camping this weekend and I was remembering W as a tot on his little "dump" bike tricycle peddling around campsites collecting firewood one stick at a time - the years sure pass quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Belated Anniversary. May you spend many more happy years together.

    Love the blocks, especially the one on the left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to commemorate an anniversary! Hope the next years are filled with just as much joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary to the both of you!

    Luscious blocks Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on such tenacity and determination! And what a beautiful thing to do - I love the colour combination, too. We are hitting our quarter century together next year - I feel that we ought to have a party! Maybe you should as well!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations! Your blocks are the perfect way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary! Your words are so lovely, and you do indeed sound happy.
    Your quilt has special significance if you used some of the sheets that have covered your bed over the years. The colors are so warming and embracing.
    Good job on both fronts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary! I love the vintage sheet fabric....I even recognize one from my stash too. I think it's great the way using that for fabric instantly makes you work look 'aged' (in a very cool way). Can't wait to see it all done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary!! Hope you have had a great day! Love your new works they look lovely! Thank you for your card! I meant to email you when I got them late last week. I went through all my mail and found your lovely card! We are still being lazy at home and having a family member here to visit us. Summer gives us too much fun! Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary!! i like this pattern. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love that you are making the blocks HUGE! how fuN! congratulations to you and your hubby on your 21st anniversary! what an accomplishment!

    (we just celebrated our 14th on tuesday. i can't believe how FAST it goes!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful to celebrate your anniversary... many happy wishes for even better for the next 21!

    Love the quilt pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations...and Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!