You'd think I'd learn the lesson,

that despite what the instructions say, I will not have enough supplies included to finish my stitchery kit.  Yet, here I am once again, nearing completion and faced with a shortage.  Where do I keep going wrong, I wonder?

I've already finished stitching three out of the four repeated motifs on this tablecloth, but I'm certain that I'm going to run out of green floss before I'm done.  I'm down to less than 30 inches in that colour and I still have a fair amount of the design that needs to be done in green. sigh. 


  This will be the second time I've used a kit and found myself running short of the threads I need.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to find more in the right colour - despite the fact that this kit was picked up from a thrift store (and who knows how old it is?).   The craziest part?   I have what appears to be MORE than enough in every other colour needed for this design - actually I know I will have full skeins leftover, whereas, I will need more than one skein of green to finish.  Does that make any sense? Who determined how much of each skein of colour would be needed - how could their math be so off?
 It seems so unfair! 
 Please tell me if something like this has ever happened to you.  It only reminds me of how I never had any luck with boxed cake mixes - they never turned out as well as  cake I made completely from scratch. Seriously. Every single time.  Who knew you could screw up a cake mix? lol  That led to me to make the decision to never buy cake mixes. Thankfully, my homemade cakes do turn out, so we haven't gone without eating cake.
Only, I'm feeling the same lack of  love from stitchery kits as I had from those boxed cake mixes.
 Maybe, I'm jinxed. ;o)


 

Comments

  1. Yes, it has happened to me too. I wrote the manufacturer and told them. Never heard back. It is truly lovely though! Hope you get some more green!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh.... but just think of it, with your beautiful mind and creative eye, I just know you'll find a way to make it all work out in the end!

    Maybe these boxes and kits don't work for you because you're just too clever for thinking 'inside the box' -- hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you will be able to get a good match if you take it to a shop that has embroidery threads. There are so many shades available. But how annoying to run out. Best of luck.

    I prefer my cakes to box ones as well. It could be that I know that it was from scratch so my mind tells me it has to taste better. Who knows?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never bought an embroidery kit so I don'tknow!! I once used a cakemix, the result was not eatable, we gave the whole to the birds ...... even they did not eat it, I swear!!!!
    But I have found an applepie mix which is very good, really homemade pie.....
    So keep on trying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, happened to me too. It's never happened with a cross stitch kit, there's always loads left over with them, but it has happened with a crewel embroidery kit I finished. I don't have enough of any thread to finish the last 1/4! It's a DMC thread so I wrote to them to ask the brand and reference number of the crewel wool and... no reply!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, obviously, with kits and cake mixes, one size fits none. Fortunately, as others have said, the creative mind does not let itself be stopped by such minor details as yarn shortage. Should be gorgeous when it's done.

    BTW, I'm back in the blogging saddle myself, if you want to take a look- the new URL is www.amovitam.ca.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has happened to me in the past, but then I always find out I used three strands where I should have used one, or four strands where I should have used two. I think you can find a match where ever they sell floss, but it is insane that the kit makers don't know we are only human and make mistakes. Boxed cake mixes are evil. Just plain evil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like boxed cake mixes, LOL!! Sorry Nancy!! I should make a boxed cake mix creation for our next get-together and serve it to her and not tell her --- shhhhhhhhhhh don't let on about my evil plan! ;)

    Sorry about your thread woes - all I can think of is to write the manufacturer or try to match it in a store -- I think I would be pitching a very childish and unladylike hissy fit were that to happen to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The same has happened to me before - but I think once it was because I had my greens mixed up. But you can usually find a match because embroidery floss colours are the same for years, and don't vary by dye lot. It is a very lovely cloth though - worth finishing!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps some sort of message from the universe about life - "the best laid plans" of kits (and cake mixes!) often go awry?! ;-) And how despite that we always manage to work things out. And YOU always manage to work things out beautifully and creatively. Looks lovely, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!